Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Bits and Pieces of a Wednesday

Today my principal came into my room and asked me if I needed any software for ESL because she had some "software money" that needed to get spent today. I said sure! In fact, there were some sales people that I talked to on Friday at our school who told me about some interesting software program. At the time I just listened to their pitch and then went about my business thinking there was no way I'd get it. Looks like I'll be getting some new software after all.

As my Principal turned to leave she said "Oh, and I ordered that science kit you asked for."

Wow. A great day for ESL. I'll take all of the resources I can get!

* * *

I noticed today that one of my kindergarteners' teeth are black and have cavities on the fronts. I asked him if he brushes his teeth every day. He said no. I showed him the brushing motion and asked "Do you do this every morning?" He shook is head no. Do you have a tooth brush? No. I asked my other two K's and they both said they did. So sad. The boy doesn't even own a toothbrush. (I realize that sometimes five year olds don't exactly know what they are saying but by the looks of his teeth, he does.) I think that I am going to do a lesson on brushing your teeth. It will involve sequencing, giving directions, and reading ("I like to brush my teeth" includes sight words that they are working on). I think we'll go to the sink and practice. And then, best of all, they will go home with a new toothbrush and toothpaste.

* * *

8th graders decided on a theme for the yearbook.

2 Good 2 Be 4gotten

Why, why, why?

We had some great discussion about the other themes that were so much more mature. I tried to advocate for "Is this the end or just the beginning?" and the other adviser really talked up "One story. Many voices." We did have some kids who really liked those two (they did come up with the themes themselves), but in the end the overwhelming majority of the kids wanted "2 Good 2 Be 4gotten."

Well, it is their book and we're letting them do what they want.

No comments: