Monday, February 06, 2006

Day One

So today was the first day of the next three years of this strange situation.

There are still so many unanswered questions. What about kids who aren't doing the extra tutoring but then are staying for extended day (which we are continuing with)? Or what about all of the after school programs at our school (we don't have enough rooms for them all)?

None of these questions were answered today. In fact, we weren't given any instructions on procedures for the dismissing of classes and the picking up of small groups. The other teacher doing yearbook and I had already decided that I would go up to her room at the end of the school day and stay with yearbook kids while she dismissed her regular class. This worked because they didn't have to go downstairs and come back up.

I saw the confusion downstairs though as I went down to see if any of the 8th graders somehow got left behind downstairs. (They hadn't.) Administrators were directing traffic and managing the chaos. There were some teachers who had no students and others who had more than ten. It's definitely going to take a while to sort all of this out.

Also, no one thought to adjust the periods to account for ten less minutes in the regular school day, so my last period with the eighth graders was cut short. I told them that I would be letting them leave my room at 2:45 to get their stuff and then totally forgot and ended up dismissing them five minutes late.

Still no word about needing lesson plans or giving out grades like I've read about on other blogs but give it time. Even if my school does want that it will take time for them to get on the ball and let us know about it.

More updates to come.

No comments: